Expert Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability to hold an erection long enough to perform sexual activity. It is the most common type of sexual issue in men, with up to half of men over the age of 40 experiencing some level of ED, according to research published in the Journal of Urology.
Many men do not seek treatment for ED due to embarrassment, lack of information, or a misconception that erectile dysfunction cannot be helped. At Foothills Urology, we have been successfully treating men’s sexual health problems for more than 15 years. We offer a wide array of treatments and work with you to find the one that will help you reclaim a sexually fulfilling lifestyle.
Evaluating Erectile Dysfunction
In order to effectively treat your erectile dysfunction, it's important to ensure we understand the cause. One in four men, for instance, suffer erectile dysfunction as a side effect of medications they are taking to treat other health conditions, such as high cholesterol. In additiion to looking at your sexual health history, overall health and any chronic conditions, we also will test your testosterone levels. Once we have developed a diagnosis and we clearly understand your goals and your lifestyle, we will develop a customized treatment plan. Complete a sexual health inventory for men to classify the severity of your ED. Read more about chronic conditions linked to erectile dysfunction and causes of erectile dysfunction by age.
Treating Impotence and Erectile Dysfunction
A variety of advancements for erectile dysfunction treatment have been made during the past decade, providing men with ED treatment options to maintain healthy sexual activity. Erectile dysfunction treatments we will consider with you include:
- Lifestyle changes – Lowering stress, losing weight, ceasing smoking and drinking, and getting plenty of sleep can help minimize the occurrence of erectile dysfunction in some patients. Changing medications used to treat common issues like depression and high blood pressure also may help as side effects from drugs like beta blockers, antidepressants, and antihistamines can include ED.
- Oral medications – Besides lifestyle changes, medications like Viagra and Cialis can improve blood flow to the penis and help some men achieve an erection.
- Low-Testosterone (Low-T) therapy – Hormonal supplementation may be used in cases where low testosterone is diagnosed.
- Erectile dysfunction injections – Injection therapy can improve penile blood flow.
- Erectile dysfunction suppositories – Some men prefer suppositories over injections.
- Vacuum erection devices – These devices can be an effective treatment for erectile dysfunction.
- Penile implants – Inflatable penile prosthesis and malleable penile prosthesis are two surgical options that can enable men to hold an erection. Up to 97% of patients report satisfaction with their implants1.